Dienstag, 11. Mai 2010

[Rezension] Sherrilyn Kenyon, Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter 03)

Inhalt (lt. Rückentext):
Zarek's point of view:
Dark-Hunter: A soulles guardian who stands between mankind and those who would see mankind destroyed. Yeah, right. he only part of that Code of Honor I got was eternity and solitute.
Insanity: A condition many say I suffer from after being alone for so long. But I don't suffer from my insanity - I enjoy every minute of it.
Trust: I can't trust anyone...not even myself. The only thing I trust in is my ability to do the wrong thing in any situation and to put a hurt on anyone who gets in my way.
Truth: I endured a lifetime as a Roman slave, and 900 years as an exiled Dark-Hunter. Now I'm tired of enduring. I want the truth about what happened the night I was exiled - I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Astrid (Greek, meaning star): An exceptional woman who can see straight to the truth. Brave and strong, she is a point of light in the darkness. She touches me and I tremble. She smiles and my cold heart shatters.
Zarek: They say even the most damned man can be forgiven. I never believed that until the night Astrid opened her door to me and made this feral beast want to be human agein. Made me want to love and be loved. But how can an ex-slave whose soul is owned by a Greek goddess ever dream of touching, let alone holding, a fiery star?

Zum Buch:
Artemis, goddess of the hunt and creator of the Dark-Hunters has enough. She wants Zarek to be dead. For 900 years now has she kept him exile in Alaska. In total solitude. He is a man of bad behaviour and known to be dangerous for everyone near him. But before Artemis can have him executed, Zarek needs to be judged by a justice nymph. Astrid, sister to the Fates, is sent to judge Zarek's character.
Zarek gets wounded in the course of a fight and flees into the tundra where he breaks down. Astrid is stationed amid snowy Alaska to care for Zarek and judge him without another human or supernatural tainting her oppinion. She soon becomes aware that Zarek isn't the easiest patient and not the best company during a snow-storm.
As she gets to know him better, she learns why he behaves that way and finally falls in love with him. Zarek is fascinated by the blind woman - for Astrid is not allowed to see him while making her decision - and hesitantly lets her into his heart. He begins to feel wanted and accepted for the first time and suddenly has somethin to lose. Which is not at all good with a goddess wanting him dead...

Rezeption:
I have to admit: I don't like the Dark-Hunter-Series. I've already read a book (the first one, I think) and wasn't very flattered. This one is no exception, but there are some elements I like.
It is mainly because of Zarek that I read the book at all. He is a man of solitute, hate and full of pain. After living a horrible life as a Roman slave he died begging on his knees, only to be made a Dark-Hunter by Artemis. Although his body was fully restored - a very handsome body - he can't belive himself to be beautiful or worth the attention of women. He never looks at his reflection in the mirror and avoids all deeper relationships. This only becomes worse as he is exiled. Nevertheless, he shows some dark humor and irony that makes him likeable, if not loveable. With Astrid's help he changes and lets himself be tamed by her - just like the fox in "The Little Prince", which is both Zarek's and Astrid's favourite book.
So I liked the scences with Zarek and Astrid a lot. The scences about Dark-Hunter-business, Artemis & Co were, in my point of view, boring and I only skimmed through them.
Yes, Kenyon has a nice writing-style and the dialogues often put a smile on your face, but I like her better as Kinley MacGregor. The Brotherhood of the Sword-Series I love - it concentrates on which she is best at - both as MacGregor and Kenyon - namely the relationship between man and woman. In fact, Zarek very much reminded me of Sin from "Born in Sin" (this book would get 5 points, by the way).
Whoever wants a love story with a touch of "coolness" and not so well developed mythological background, should read the Dark-Hunter-Series. They are just nothing for me.

The three points are for Zarek, the writing style and the love story.




I recommend:

Kommentare:

  1. Oh, wow, find ich toll, dass du auf Englisch rezensierst! :D

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. xD Naja, ich mach es immer in der Sprache auf die ich grad lust hab :D Ist ja auch ein englisches Buch... Außerdem ist es mal schön, nicht nur academic writing zu machen -.- Für die Uni schreib ich grad nur argumentative texts +seufz+

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Hey, find ich super, dass du die Rezi auf Englisch machst! Ich sollte das auch mal tun...

    AntwortenLöschen